You should only apply for Student membership if you:
- have not previously completed an HTA-approved training
- are currently enrolled in an HTA-approved counsellor training course.
A list of approved Vocational training programs can be found here
. Within the Higher Education sector, students enrolled in degree courses and Post-graduate diploma courses in psychotherapy will generally be approved for Student membership but only if they have no prior approved qualification. Phoenix degree students who have completed a Phoenix diploma/advanced diploma should apply for Qualified
To be approved by HTA, training programs need to be:
- delivered predominantly face to face in a classroom setting
- involve a high proportion of experiential learning, and
- be designed to deliver a transformational learning experience.
The HTA allows entry to the Qualified level of membership as soon as students have completed their course requirements and are scheduled to graduate. If you in that position you should be applying for Qualified membership. It saves on administration, enables you to establish and publicise your practice more quickly and provides you access to professional insurance. Student members are not eligible to apply for professional indemnity insurance.